Age of children
6 to 12 years
Minimum age of volunteer
Minimum commitment period
Two weeks. The average stay is six weeks and many of our volunteers have stayed for three months or more. We recommend that you arrive on a Friday, this gives you two days to rest and get oriented before commencing work on Monday.
What will I be doing?
Assisting teachers in the classrooms, helping learners with homework and teaching them basic computer skills.
After school, you can help with netball and soccer in winter (April – September) and swimming (October to March) in summer. The Homework Club is open every weekday afternoon.
How much time per week?
10am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday,
with a break for lunch.
School term calendar
This project runs throughout the year when schools reopen in mid-January until they close in early December.
- 15 January to 10 December 2010
- 21 January to 9 December 2011
- 20 January to 7 December 2012
There are no special skills or qualifications needed for this project but volunteers must be:
- Self-disciplined and a worthy role model
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, willing to work hard and have fun.
- Team-oriented with a “hands-on” approach
- Open to new cultures and a different approach to life
- Able to get along with a wide variety of people from all over the world
- Have a good sense of humour
- If you do have special skills or knowledge – like dance, music or sport – we will try to make use of your strengths