Age of girls
Between 8 and 18
Minimum age of volunteer
Minimum commitment period
The minimum period is 6 weeks. The average stay is 3 months or longer.
What will I be doing?
During the term you will be spending time with the girls in the afternoon when they get home from school. You will assist them with their homework and projects, introduce fun activities such as dancing and singing and act as a role model and an inspiration.
How much time per week?
Monday to Friday from 2pm to 6pm during the school term. Monday to Friday 10am to 5pm during the school holidays.
School term calendar
This project runs throughout the year from mid-January until early December. Please note that many of the girls go home to their families during the midterm school holidays.
- 15 January to 10 December 2010
- 21 January to 9 December 2011
- 20 January to 7 December 2012
There are no special skills or qualifications needed for this project but volunteers must be:
- Motivated to help young girls
- Be patient and understanding
- Be good role models
- Be flexible
- Be open to new cultures and a different approach to life
- Get along with a wide variety of people from all over the world
- Have a good sense of humour
For information on this and other Volunteer Opportunities Africa please contact us.