Age of children
13 to 18 years old
Minimum age of volunteer
Minimum commitment period
Two weeks. The average stay is six weeks and many of our volunteers have stayed for three months or more. We recommend that you arrive on a Friday, this gives you two days to rest and get oriented before commencing work on Monday.
What will I be doing?
One-on-one lessons: helping learners with Maths and English or assisting with sports coaching (football or netball)
After-school programme: assist learners with their homework, give them career guidance and help with various special projects. Alternatively assist at the township Homework Club.
How much time per week?
Five hours per day, Monday to Friday
After-school programme: Approximately three afternoons per week
School term calendar
This project runs throughout the year when schools reopen in mid-January until they close in early December.
- 15 January to 10 December 2010
- 21 January to 9 December 2011
- 20 January to 7 December 2012
Volunteer in Cape Town Requirements
There are no special skills or qualifications needed for this project but volunteers must be:
- Self-disciplined and a worthy role model
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, willing to work hard and have fun
- Team-oriented with a “hands-on” approach
- Open to new cultures and a different approach to life
- Able to get along with a wide variety of people from all over the world
- Have a good sense of humour
- If you do have special skills or knowledge – like dance, music or sport – we will try to make use of your strengths
To Volunteer in Cape Town click the button below.