Age of children
7 to 10 years old
Minimum age of volunteer
Minimum commitment period
Four weeks. The average stay is six weeks and many of our volunteers have stayed for three months or more. We recommend that you arrive on a Friday, this gives you two days to rest and get oriented before commencing work on Monday.
What will I be doing?
As a volunteer, your duties can include:
- Working closely with the team at this project
- Helping with administration and the downloading of resources
- Helping with “book swap” at lunchtime
- Testing the children under supervision
- Assisting during literacy hour
- Helping in the school library.
How much time per week?
This project typically runs for four days a week from Monday Thursday, 8:30am to 2pm. Please note that these times could vary depending on which school you are placed at.
School term calendar
This project is only available during school terms.
School terms 2010
13 July to 23 September 2010
4 October to 10 December 2010
School terms 2011
19 January to 25 March 2011
11 April to 24 June 2011
18 July to 30 September 2011
10 October to 9 December 2011
There are no special skills or qualifications needed for this project but volunteers must:
- Have a love of books and children
- Be willing to undergo basic training
- Be enthusiastic and committed
- Be able to speak and read English well
- Not have a strong accent that the children will find difficult to understand.
- The most important quality for volunteers on this project is flexibility: you must be prepared to jump in and help wherever you may be needed on any particular day.
For further details and to Volunteer in Africa please get in touch with us on these details.